Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Buttery Herb-Rubbed Pot Roast with Brown Gravy

Whenever our family has potluck dinners, my signature contribution is almost always a savory, but very simple, roast made by dumping a package of dry onion soup and a can of mushroom soup onto an uncooked beef pot roast. Cover, slow cook, and the end result is well-seasoned, gravy-steeped meat that is so tender, a knife literally glides through it.

After going on the J.J. Virgin diet, to my dismay, I discovered that both the dry and canned soups in this recipe are loaded (and I mean LOADED) with various forms of corn, soy, sugar, and gluten.  Not to be outdone, I tweaked and tweaked this “Buttery Herb-Rubbed Pot Roast with Brown Gravy” recipe until I got it just right--unbelievably delectable and tender from the first bite to the last. I admit that it’s nowhere as easy as the other one, but the “Yum Factor” is through the roof. In fact, double yum!

.

Buttery Herb-Rubbed Pot Roast with Brown Gravy



Ingredients:
Makes 10-12 servings

2 ¼-pound hormone/antibiotic free boneless pot or chuck roast with generous marbling
½ teaspoon sea salt

Buttery paste
2 ½ tablespoons ghee
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 ½ teaspoon olive oil (not extra virgin)
1 tablespoon finely chopped or dried basil flakes
½ tablespoon finely chopped or dried rosemary
1 tablespoon finely chopped or dried cilantro
2 tablespoons dried minced onions
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder

Gravy
1 cup meat drippings
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos
3 ½ tablespoons brown rice flour
1 tablespoon dried minced onions
1 ¾ cups hot water
Sea salt to taste (very lightly)
½ teaspoon Xylitol sweetener (OPTIONAL; do not substitute stevia, as I don’t think it will work with this recipe)

Gently water-wash the roast and pat it dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle on ½ teaspoon of sea salt.  Rub to ensure even distribution on all sides.  With a dinner fork, pierce the meat throughout. Put it in an open dish and place it in the refrigerator for 3-6 hours (overnight if possible).

When ready to cook, preheat oven to 325 degrees (or prepare slow cooker).  In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for the buttery paste.  Let it rest for 5 minutes. Rub the paste onto the roast.  Put the meat a tightly sealed oven dish, or wrap it in heavy foil and place in a roasting pan, or put it into your slow cooker, 

When roast has cooked for 1 ½ hours in oven (or 2 hours 45 minutes in slow cooker), scoop drippings into a saucepan.  Continue to cook meat in oven .  Bring the drippings in the saucepan to medium heat on the stove top.  Add bay leaf and pour in coconut aminos and minced onions.  As the drippings come to a slow boil, add in about one-third of the brown rice flour.  Stir until smooth.  Add about one-third of the water. Stir.  Alternate stirring in flour and water until gravy is slightly watery and smooth.  Drizzle gravy over roast and bake in oven uncovered for about 35 minutes (or until gravy has slightly thickened). Turn off oven and let meat rest for about 20 minutes before serving.



Disclaimer: I'm an amateur cook whose skills were learned from and honed by my mama, an amazing cook of old school southern fare. And because I'm no expert, recipes featured in my blog will NOT include caloric or nutritional information. 

1 comment:

  1. I made this dish in a slow cooker for our Sunday's dinner and my entire family absolutely loved it. My husband kept pointing his fork towards it while saying "THIS IS GOOD, REALLY GOOD". I found myself doing something that I had not done in YEARS, which was repeatedly going back to pick portions of the meat from the slow cooker. I couldn't get enough of it. Surprisingly, there was enough left over for our next day meal; guest what was on my mine as I awaken the next day? You're right on if you thought, the Buttery-Herb Rubbed Pot Roast with Brown Gravy. I wanted and did have more of it. It is really that good. After coming home from work; my husband sitting down for dinner on that Monday again did the very same pointing at the pot roast on his plate while saying "THIS IS GOOD, REALLY GOOD" he added, "I REALLY LIKE THIS". A big thumbs up from our family to Skinnyum! Thanks for sharing such deliciously, tasty recipes with us. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete