Total Pageviews

Monday, January 25, 2016

Quick and Tasty BLT Sandwich

When I first started the J.J. Virgin diet I mourned the loss of my beloved bread.  No bread meant no sandwiches, no dinner rolls, and no bagels. C’est dommage. While I haven’t found anything that quite matches the taste of bread in sandwiches, I have come to realize that I don’t miss it as much as I thought I would.

Here, by replacing bread with a thin rice cake, it’s still possible to have a healthy bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich that makes me go, “YUM!” 


Quick and Tasty BLT Sandwich


Ingredients:
Makes 1 serving

3 slices nitrate free bacon
1 thin brown rice cake (shown, Suzie’s Lightly Salted Brown Rice Cake)
Butter lettuce
3 half slices from a small tomato 
1 tablespoon flavored hummus or spicy guacamole

Microwave or oven-broil bacon until done. Drain excess oil. Cut bacon slices in half and arrange on a rice cake.  Add a few leaves of lettuce and the tomato slices. Drop a spoonful of hummus or guacamole on top. 

Eat open face or add rice cake on top.

Serve with sweet potato chips.



Disclaimer: I'm an amateur cook whose skills were learned from and honed by my mama, an amazing cook of old school southern fare. And because I'm no expert, recipes featured in my blog will NOT include caloric or nutritional information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment